Creamy Cheese Sauce with Spinach on Spinach Fettucini
- basic white sauce (use olive oil for a healthy subsitute)
- garlic* (optional)
- 50mL ~ 100mL milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 tsp whole seed mustard (optional)
- spinach leaves washed and well drained (baby spinach works best)
- 500g spinach fettucini
- Follow the instructions for the basic white sauce*.
- Add in a bit of milk into the white sauce to make it thinner. Mix well while on low heat.
- Add the shredded cheese and mustard, while stirring with the whisk. Turn off the heat and stir/mix/whisk until you only see strings of melted cheese when you lift the whisk up.
- Turn the heat on low for the sauce again, and stir/whisk until cheese is completely melted and mixed in with the white sauce.
- The pasta should be ready round about the same time. If not, turn off the heat for the cheese sauce and wait.
- When the pasta is done, divide into individual dishes/plates and set aside. Make sure you don’t leave the sauce cooking while you’re doing this.
- Add the spinach leaves to the sauce and mix until the leaves have softened (about 1 minute.)
- Serve the sauce over the pasta.
* if you like garlic, then make the basic white sauce with 1 tbsp minced garlic sauted in the butter first before adding the flour
- The cheese sauce can be served on pasta without the spinach, or it can be used in lasagne or vegetables etc.
- If you find the sauce getting a bit too thick, add a bit of milk.
- If you find the sauce a bit thin (or you’ve added too much milk), mix a bit of flour with melted butter or olive oil and mix it in.