Chicken and Leek Pie
If you live in a country where people hardly know what “pie” is, except the apple pie from Mc Donalds… finding ready to use puff pastry in next to impossible. With a strong hankering for pie, I’ve resorted to making my own pastry. I like the fluffy layers of puff pastry but can’t be bothered rolling dough around a block of butter all day, so I decided to give rough puff pastry a go for this recipe.
- pie pastry for a 20cm pie tin (shortcrust/puff/rough puff)
- 500g Chicken, diced (2cm pieces)
- 1 stalk of leek (about 100 – 150g)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp whole seed mustard
- olive oil
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- a few shakes of pepper
- about 2 tbsp minced/finely chopped spring onion
- 1/2 cup wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Mix the chicken with the spring onion, garlic, mustard, corn flour, pepper and some olive oil (about 2 tbsp). Leave to marinate.
- Line the pie tray with pastry and put a sheet of baking paper over it and something to weigh it down (like a handful of beans) .
- Bake the pie shell in the oven for about 15 minutes. Then take out and leave to cool.
- In a frying pan, heat up about 1 tbsp of olive oil and saute the leek in it for a few minutes.
- On medium heat, add the chicken to the leek and stir to ensure the chicken is cooked evenly.
- Reduce the heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp flour and mix well, making sure that all the flour is mixed into the oil/juices.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the wine, and let it evaporate a little before mixing in with the chicken.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer on high heat, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the milk, and reduce the heat, maintaining a gentle simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl mix some flour with olive oil to make a paste.
- Thicken the chicken pie filling with the oil-flour paste.
- Turn off the heat and let the filling cool down a bit (about 30 minutes)
- Fill the pie shell with the chicken filling, and cover with a piece of pastry over the top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.